Monday, April 25, 2011

Why I shall be up at dawn to watch the royal family in all its bizarre glory | Victoria Coren

Our great national roadshow will be out in force as Prince William and Kate Middleton get married on Friday. Don't be too cool to enjoy it ? there's no shame in celebrating (or grieving) en masseThe agreed national line on the royal wedding is: "Good luck to the youngsters, I hope they're happy, but I'm not very interested."That is what everybody says. The engagement was announced to a roar of benevolent apathy. I have encountered neither republican fervour nor royalist excitement since this whole thing began, only a vague and indifferent goodwill.I expect there'll be a large audience on Friday, just because it's on TV and most people are off work. There may even be an outbreak of cheerful, faintly ironic street parties. Still, nobody admits really to caring one way or the other.That is

Read more ...

No comments:

Post a Comment