Thursday, April 28, 2011

Eating for £1 a day

Soon it's a choice between foraging for food or rifling through supermarket bins"Put these under a tap," says botanist Merlin Sheldrake, holding a handful of stinging nettles. "That'll wash off any fox piss." We are standing knee-deep in the undergrowth of a north London park, and Sheldrake is teaching me how to live off the land. Using a plastic bag to protect his hands, he plucks the tops off various nettles. Boil them, he says, and they'll taste just like spinach.I have been driven to this by hunger. The Global Poverty Project (GPP) has challenged me to eat for £1 a day for a working week. Thirty-six hours in, I've realised that the food I bought at the weekend just isn't going to last until Friday. I've no more cash, so I'm foraging instead.This is all a preamble for GPP's Live Below

Read more ...

No comments:

Post a Comment